Maya Angelou wrote, “People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel.”
This is such a profound quote to remember in the customer service industry. Customers can leave a conversation with no memory of the words exchanged but with a clear feeling of the emotions it stirred in them.
Customer service agents need to keep the customer experience positive throughout the interaction and especially at the end. One way to do this is to use positive words and phrases during the call.
Use uplifting and confident words like definitely, amazing and fantastic. You don’t want to show any uncertainty, which could cause customers to doubt what you’re saying. At the same time, uplifting words could encourage customers to engage and participate in the conversation.
Here is a list of 15 positive words to remember:
Expanding on positive words, here are also some positive phrases for your reference. These phrases don’t just show empathy and sincerity, they also lead to other positive actions like transparency, appreciation and problem-solving. Also, notice some of the positive words mentioned earlier being used in these phrases.
• “Thank you for bringing this to our attention.”
• “This call will likely take [x] minutes.”
• “What I’m doing for you now is…”
• “I realise that this situation is difficult, but let’s try and find a solution.”
• “As much as I would love to help…”
• “Great question, I’ll find that out for you.”
• “I definitely will make sure that it gets sorted.”
• “What we have gone through today is…”
• “I will quickly run through this with you…”
• “I completely understand why you’d want that.”
You can use this rough guide to help make your conversations more positive and improve the overall customer experience. Another tip is to always try and speak from your heart, that way, the positive words and tone will come naturally to you.
Take a look at this list before you start your day and try incorporating them into your everyday conversations to make it a habit for you to exude positivity in all your interactions. Sooner or later, you won’t even need this list!